Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Patriotism

Ah yes, Election Day has finally arrived. Its been a long, and hard battle of getting John McCain the Maverick, and Brother Barack Obama to this point. It hasn't been easy, and both candidates sure overcame some obstacles to get here. Now, today, America gets to see which one of these men will have the honor of inheriting a broke financial system, 2 wars, slumping housing market, and of course the task of convincing the public that even though they took $700 billion dollars from you, they are NOT gonna raise taxes.

On days like today, people go out of their way to show patriotism. The most patriotic thing you can do is oblige to your civic duty and vote. Or is it? I recently met a fellow I work with who I will call John who really opened my eyes to the true form of patriotism. Its unorthodox, and not like anything you've ever heard. Sure many people waive their flags, and help their veterans, but what John did is more patriotic than any of those things, or at least in my opinion anyway.

It was a typically long day at work. We were all beat. 12 hours had passed, and our eyes were squinting from staring at the same spreadsheets, and monotonous work. We needed a break. We all decided to go to the local bar & grill, to kill a few brain cells, and share a few laughs. We got some good seats, watched the game, ate some fattening food, and filled our bellies and loosened up our minds. After dinner, the drinks continued to pour, and John as he usually does, suggested we check out a strip joint. It was the local "ballet" so I figured, after a long day's work, and nothing else to do, why not? Being the "Maverick" that John is he stopped over at a gas station to get a few brews for the road. After about the 4th one the car approached 90 mph, and I was getting a bit freaked out, but John insisted it was all good. Being the responsible adult that I am, I cut him off after that.

With a pep in his step, John pays cover for both of us, and walks in like he owns the place. Now I must tell you, John is an Indian guy. He's a bit shy, and a little bit nervous around women, let alone naked women. So he walks, in and he starts looking confused. I re-assured him that the women would not harm him (unless he wanted them to). He sat down in front of the stage with his stack of 1's and a smile as if it was Christmas Morning. After a few minutes, he was in "love", and decided to get a lap dance. Four songs had passed and he finally came out. "C'mon bro, I need a smoke". Even though I don't smoke, I went out and gave him company. That's when we met Tiago. He was the son of a diplomat from Brazil, just checking out the "local sites" while he was in town. He needed a light, and John was gracious enough to help him out. He asked us who we were and what we did and made typical small talk.

That is when it happened. I saw the most courageous display of patriotism I'd ever witnessed. I told him in that moment who I was, and that I was from India. Then my friend John, introduced himself as Sandy from Pakistan. He said Sandy was his nick-name and that he was from Pakistan, and working here in the US. I was shocked! I was pissed, that he wouldn't tell Tiago that he was Indian. So being the nice guy that I am, I continued to make fun of him for a while. We ended up going back in, and then left a half hour after that. The next day, I asked John, "what the hell man?" "what was that all about bro?" "Your Sandy from Pakistan?" To which John, told me something I will never forget. "Buddy, listen. Yesterday we were doing something we should not be doing, and we were at a place we really shouldn't be at. So whenever I am doing such things, I tell everyone I am from Pakistan, so I do not ruin the good name of Indians".

I was amazed! This is a man that lived patriotically. He always had the good name of his countrymen at heart and did whatever he had to so he didn't ruin it! I was so surprised by his logic that I gave him a hug like you'd see in a Bud Light "I love you man" commercial. I was sincerely amazed by his thinking and actions. What I learned from him that day about patriotism was simple. You don't need flags, and slogans to be patriotic. You simply need to know which group of people you want to point your finger to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it !!! ;) "john" is a smart man ... ok so are u, but for now this blog is about John being a smart man ! :)

StatCounter