Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Inter-cultural Relationships

So I recently came across this website where singles can go and meet other singles (no, I wasn't on the prowl - I swear). In this particular ad an Indian guy is looking to meet a white girl. Check it out:





I think Inter-cultural relationships is probably a better term for this than interracial (because Indians are actually considered caucasians), but also because sometimes if your Indian, dating a person from another part of the country can be just as difficult.

So in any case, I'd like to take a moment and help this poor bastard out. First of all he starts his ad by saying he's "attractive". That to me raises red flags right there. If I'm correct, shouldn't the other person decide if your attractive? Then he goes on to claim he is a "British Born Indian guy" which to me sounds like he's saying "Hey, I'm so white on the inside you won't notice I'm brown on the outside". However, he gets caught in his lie when he uses the phrase "would love to go out with a white girl as it is my preference". This is where the gig is up buddy! If you were really a British born Indian guy you'd say something like "because it is my preference", the fact that you said "as it is my preference" proves to me just how much of a Mumbai-born recently immigrated to Britain guy you really are! I work with plenty of Indians and they all have one thing in common - they don't ever use the word "because" they simply use "as" instead. I think I just found a Mumbain-born Indian guy who has migrated to Britain, and is hoping to get his freak on with the "mystical" white girls which he's only seen on youtube clips and heard stories of through migrated friends. What's worst is he finishes off his strong candidacy by asking "Do white women find Indian guys attractive?" What are you thinking?!? Is that even a question? Of course they do buddy, but your not one of em apparently.

All I'm saying is that if you want to attract a white girl or a black girl, or any other non-Indian girl, I'd start by making a strong bold statement. Perhaps something like "I'm the Indian son of the man who invented the Kama Sutra, and I'm starting a new practice here in London. I"m looking to share my knowledge with attractive and interested students who are (non-Indian / cultural preference) females between the ages of 21 - 30, who are comfortable with their bodies and spirituality. Flexibility and an un-inhibited personality is preferred". I mean you figure with something like this you might at least get a curiosity bang.

The point I'm trying to make here, is that inter-cultural relationships are not easy, but they can also be fun since in today's information age, we are learning about other people at a much faster pace. But the one thing that remains universally true, is that if a guy wants to get a girl, he's gotta be confident and comfortable with who he is, before he can get to know her no matter where she's from, or what color her skin is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post...I'm sure the guy is nervous and even desires assimilation into a western culture and may also be genuinely physically attracted to European women. One thing I find interesting is the role social class plays. My limited experience with the Indian culture (no matter if its national or expatriate cultures)is that they are all deeply class conscious (or caste conscious) and it reads like his perception of white women is that they all belong to a generic gentry class to which he desires to belong. Of course, white women are found in all social classes, but perhaps he has not had much experience with that yet or perhaps he knows that dating a European woman might him a bump up the the unforgiving Indian social class ladder.

The Indian Guy said...

You bring up several good points. I'm not sure what the guy is thinking or what class he's from, but rather just taking the opportunity to make some humour out of the situation. However, your read on Indians and class is quite accurate. We are quite class-conscious, and even today it plays a role. Of course, dating/marrying a European woman may give him access into certain circles and limit his access to others. At the end of the day, Its all about personal preference I guess.

StatCounter