Monday, September 15, 2008

Disrespect

If you've ever been to an Indian party there is a pretty good chance you've seen a fight break out. I'm also willing to bet my left nut that during the mele you heard at least at one point (or several) one of the people involved saying one of the following:

1. "You don't disrespect me!"

2. "Do you know who I am?"

3. "You don't know who your messin with!"

and my favorite

4. "I will kill you!"

I've been to way too many Indian parties in my lifetime, and I've seen way too many fights, and for some reason the main reason why all the fights seem to start is because one dude "disrespected" another dude. For some reason, it seems that us Indian guys are now full of so much respect that when someone disrespects us its worthy of throwing our reputation and pride as hard as our punches.

However, I'm willing to bet that there are certain actions that may have caused these bouts of "disrespect". What I find amazing is that although certain times a push or a shove is a clear sign of disrespect, I don't understand all the other reasons why us Indian guys feel disrespected. I've once heard the following conversation:

Indian dude #1: "I'm gonna knock that bastard's teeth out. I'm gonna kill him"
Indian dude #2: "What happened? What did he do?"
Indian dude #1: "You didn't see the way he looked at me bro? Messed up. He's gonna get it"

At this point Indian Dude #1 usually calls up 10 of his "friends" for a fair fight of course. As it turns out, the other guy had a severe case of allergies, and had just finished rubbing his eyes. While he was trying to re-adjust his focus, he squinted. Unfortunately for him, he squinted at the wrong guy.

I just don't get it. When Gandhi and his people were getting shot by the British they chose non-violence to win and get what they want. Several generations later, we are bickering over inadvertent glances. The other thing I find hilarious is that if you've ever seen a fight between two Indian guys, each one claims to be completely innocent. "I was just dancing with his sister and trying to grope her, and he started acting all crazy. I don't get it. Then he disrespected me." All I"m saying is that if your young and stupid, fighting is a learning experience, and hopefully humbling. If your out of college and have a career, fighting should be treated like Hugh Hefner treats a marriage. It should just be avoided.

However, if your an opportunist like I am, fights are a great way to meet women. She's pissed at her man for embarrasing her, and feeling lonely. Its like fishing with a shotgun. But do be careful, because the man getting his ass beat by the bouncer might feel disrespected.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you write a similar blog already!?? you must be running out of things to write HA! ;}

Anonymous said...

LOL. Ahhh fresh memories. I like the second to last paragraph the best!

Anonymous said...

May have been a similar blog but this one is based on brand new experiences. nice. Not an indian party til this situation goes down.

StatCounter