Friday, September 5, 2008

I Don't Wanna Grow Up

So I recently came across this article written by Tony Dokoupil for Newsweek where he talks about the "problem" of 20-something year old guys who refuse to grow up. He explains "Today's guys are perhaps the first downwardly mobile—and endlessly adolescent—generation of men in U.S. history". He interviewed about 400 white, male, college-educated guys and has found that what was once a "regressive weekend" has turned into a "decade-long odyssey". He calls it "Guyland" where the happy hours never end, and the party never stops. He's talked to guys who don't even remember the names of the women they've slept with let alone the number (this guy's nickname is Biff). However, all is not well in "Guyland". As the author goes on to discover that he did in fact find some 20-something year olds still living at home, and others who make up fake business cards to attract the ladies so they won't ridicule them for what they really are (in this case a coupon book salesman). Its an interesting article which goes on to explain basically that he's better than his 20-something counterparts because he is getting married at the age of 27, and claims that the experience he has with his soon-to-be wife is better than any party in "Guyland".

All I would like to say to this is Touche! Good work buddy! Nice going Captain Obvious! Bravo, really. I mean you don't have to be a genius to look around and find that more and more clubs/bars are crowded and places that were once empty are now packed, and you can't get in. However, I would like to question this authors research. Did he ever wonder why an entire generation of people decided to just kick back and party instead of stressing out? Well, here's an adventurous guess. I"m willing to bet that that a good majority of these white males, who are college educated, come from divorced families. I'm also willing to bet that they saw their fathers put up with mommy's crap for way too long and saw the jovial kid in them whither away. I'm also gonna guess that these same kids grew up with an attitude of "Not me, no way, no how am I letting a woman do that to me".

Let me tell you something about Guyland my friend. Its fricken awesome! Yes, its true the happy hours don't end, and yes its true the scene with the women can sometimes be a merry-go-round, but you know what? Its fun as hell! I mean, you look at so many of these "succesful" older people who settled down in their mid-20's, got married, and started a family, and what do they tell you? "When I was your age I would've...." and quite frankly I think this generation is not one for the shoulda, coulda, and woulda. I think its good that guys in their 20's are sowing their wild oats before taking on the responsibility of family and life. Your youth is not something you will ever get back, so you might as well enjoy it. What's the point of marrying the first woman you date in your life, if every day after your going to be wondering about someone else. Don't get me wrong, some idiots will never change. I'm convinced no matter how old I am, I will always have the one friend that is up to no good, and will try to convince me to steal someone's underwear in the retirement home, and for that buddy I am eternally grateful. Like a good martini, life should be savored, enjoyed, and be strong enough to get you buzzed.

Its interesting that a magazine like Newsweek had someone investigate this, but I think they should also report both sides of the issue. I mean, a one-night stand never killed nobody (just ask Biff). I do wonder though what the older generation of people in this world think of the 20-somethings. I mean I happen to be a 20-something, and I wouldn't say I've accomplished all of life's goals, but you better believe I've got some experiences that I won't trade for all of King Midas's Gold. This is the same generation that brought social networking websites and made billionaires out of kids, and its the generation that grew up taking risks our parents wouldn't have dreamed of taking.

In any case, what I'd be more interested in is reading this guy's article 10 years later. I sincerely hope he has a happy marriage, and a great life, but I would also tell him that just because your wandering, it doesn't mean your lost.

No comments:

StatCounter